Strawberry meringue roulade
A meringue roulade is quick and easy to do and very popular. Perfect for the summer months when strawberries are in season. If preferred you could use raspberries. This freezes well without the strawberries, just serve with strawberries alongside when thawed.
- Pre-heat oven 200°C/180°Fan/Gas 6
- Line a 13" x 9" (33x23 cm) swiss roll tin with greased non-stick baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites, in a clean, large bowl in an electric mixer on full speed until very stiff. Gradually add the sugar, a teaspoon at a time, and still on high speed, whisking well between each addition. Whisk until very, very stiff and glossy and all the sugar has been added.
- Spread the meringue mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle with almonds. Place the tin in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 8 minutes until very golden. Then lower the temperature to 160°/140°Fan/Gas 3 and bake the roulade for a further 15 minutes until crisp and firm to the touch.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and turn almond side down on to a sheet of non-stick baking paper. Remove the paper from the base of the cooked meringue and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Lightly whip the cream, mix with the yoghurt. Spread evenly over the meringue. Cut the strawberries into quarters and sprinkle over the cream mixture. Roll up the meringue firmly using the paper to help you, from the long end to form a roulade, it is essential to keep the roll very tight. Wrap in non-stick baking paper and chill before serving.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar. Serves 8-10 slices.
This recipe is from: Complete Cookbook (DK)