Lemon Drizzle Traybake
This really is our top favourite. It is always moist and crunchy. The cake needs to be still warm when the topping is added so that it absorbs the lemon syrup easily, leaving the sugar on top. Do allow the cake to cool a little though – if it is too hot the syrup will tend to run straight through.
Preparation time: about 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 35-40 minutes
Cuts into about 30 squares
- Cut a rectangle of non-stick baking parchment to fit the base and sides of a traybake tin or roasting tin, 30 x 23 x 4 cm (12 x 9 x 1 ½ inches). Grease the tin and then line with the paper, pushing it neatly into the corners of the tin. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3.
- Measure all the ingredients for the traybake into a large bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes until well blended, an electric mixer is best for this but of course you can also beat by hand with a wooden spoon. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin, scraping the sides of the bowl with a plastic spatula to remove all of the mixture. Level the top gently with the back of the spatula.
- Bake in the middle of the pre-heated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the traybake springs back when pressed lightly with a finger in the centre and is beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
- Allow the traybake to cool in the tin for a few minutes then lift the traybake out of the tin still in the lining paper. Carefully remove the paper and put the traybake onto a wire rack placed over a tray (to catch drips of the topping).
- To make the crunchy topping, mix the lemon juice and granulated sugar in a small bowl to give a runny consistency. Spoon this mixture evenly over the traybake whilst it is still just warm. Cut into about squares when cold.
- 225g (8 oz) butter , softened
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 275g (10 oz) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 175g (6 oz) granulated sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
A traybake or roasting tin 30 x 23 x 4 cm (12 x 9 x 1 ½ inches)