Lemon and poppy seed traybake
A delicious lemon and poppy seed traybake.
Makes 16 squares
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line a 30 x 23 x 4cm (12" x 9" x 1 1⁄2") traybake tin or roasting tin with greased parchment paper.
- Using a zester remove the zest from one lemon and set aside for garnish. Finely grate the rind from the other lemon. Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl, add the grated lemon rind and beat well by hand or with an electric hand whisk for about 2 minutes until well blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the cake is shrinking from the sides of the tin and springs back when pressed in the centre with your fingertips. Leave to cool in the tin. Once cool turn out and remove paper.
- For the icing, mix together the lemon juice, sieved icing sugar and mint to give a coating consistency. Spread out evenly over the cake sprinkle with reserved lemon zest and leave to set.
- Cut into squares to serve.
This recipe is from: Mary Berry's Baking Bible (BBC Books)
- 2 lemons
- 225 g soft butter or baking spread
- 225 g caster sugar
- 275 g self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- 25 g poppy seeds
FOR THE ICING
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, approximately
- 225 g icing sugar, sifted
30 x 23 x 4cm (12" x 9" x 1 1⁄2") traybake tin or roasting tin