Coconut Meringue Slices
These delicious fingers of sponge keep well. For a change, sprinkle the top with finely chopped glacé cherries.
Preparation time: about 20-25 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3 and line a 27.5 x 17.5cm (11 x 7 in) baking tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Cream the spread and sugar together until soft. Beat in the egg yolks, milk and vanilla extract and lastly fold in the flour – the mixture will be quite stiff. Spread it carefully in a smooth layer over the base of the tin.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until stiff. Add in the sugar a generous dessertspoonful at a time. Fold in the desiccated coconut. Spread over the cake mixture and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, by which time the meringue will be firm to the touch and a pale golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- Cut into 16 slices to serve.
This recipe is from: Fast Cakes